Thursday, May 8, 2008

Cone Be Gone

We had a vet visit on Tuesday -- for FVRCP shots, and to have Lyra's spay incision checked.

While the incision still didn't look completely healed to me (still a sliver that looked raw, plus about a dime-sized area under the skin was very hard, like a scab) the vet deemed it okay, took out the stitches, and - most importantly - told us Lyra didn't have to wear the e-collar anymore.

After more than ten days of plastic ring-around-the-neck that made it hard for her to play (and when she drank water, the cone got wet and she'd invariably go straight into the litter box and get clumps stuck all over it - blech) Lyra could go back to being an unfettered kitten.

She was now free to attack my camera strap.




Koto avenges his sister's former imprisonment by attacking the e-collar...


...and then the blind cords, for no reasons other than their existence and his kittenhood.


The vet staff has made a huge fuss over our fuzzy felines every time they've been in - about how adorable they are, and how friendly. And as Lyra and Koto's appointed guardian, I agree...and beam through all the compliments as if somehow I were responsible, instead of just lucky that we happened to snatch these cuties from the shelter before someone else got a chance to.

Of course, their beauty is too elusive to be captured by mere photography. But I try anyway, as I hang out on a sunny loveseat with the pair.

Lyra looks all sweet before she claws her way up my leg.


Koto, working on becoming teacher's pet, sneaks up behind me to purr in my ear.

No comments: